Vanderbilt University Press is currently accepting applications for our Sales and Marketing Coordinator position:
Reporting to the Director of Vanderbilt University Press, the sales and marketing coordinator helps facilitate a comprehensive marketing program for all of VUP’s publications, based on each title’s unique sales and distribution goals. This position collaborates with office staff to complete book and list-level marketing, which includes preparation of cover copy for all books in work, email, and direct mail campaigns, in-person and virtual conferences, special events, social media, publicity outreach, and advertising, as well as occasional administrative and customer support directly with VUP’s distributor.
Vanderbilt University Press is the principal publishing arm of one of the nation’s leading research universities. The Press’s primary mission is to select, produce, market, and disseminate scholarly publications of outstanding quality and originality. In conjunction with the long-term development of its editorial program, the Press draws on and supports the intellectual activities of the University and its faculty. Although its main emphasis falls in the area of scholarly publishing, the Press also publishes books of substance and significance that are of interest to the general public, including regional books. In this regard, the Press also supports Vanderbilt’s service and outreach to the larger local and national community.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate the logistics of events and reception planning for all in-person and virtual conferences and book events VU Press participates in.
- Handle all requests and fulfillments of complimentary free copies of VU Press publications, including contractual copies, permissions copies, and review lists to relevant media.
- Execute with input the creation, curation, and editing of content across all social media accounts for VU Press at the daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly planning levels using HootSuite.
- Create and distribute mass marketing emails.
- Coordinate the publication of two bi-annual seasonal catalogs with accurate metadata as well as individual title cover copy preparation, including blurb solicitation and editing.
- As needed, complete basic graphic design tasks for marketing materials on website and in print with input from colleagues.
- With the support of colleagues in sales and marketing, execute publicity pitches and outreach on behalf of individual VU Press titles.
- Handle the award nomination program for all VU Press titles.
- Maintain awareness of University priorities, issues, and accomplishments in order to effectively inform and execute strategy.
- Perform other work as related.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field is necessary.
- Track record of experience in communications, marketing, journalism, public relations, or relevant field is preferred.
- Demonstrable writing and communication skills that reflect an understanding of writing for different media is necessary.
- Ability to condense complex messages into consistent, easy to understand messaging, along with the ability to vary delivery to match audiences and media, as appropriate is necessary.
- Ability to cultivate relationships with members of the media, as well as members of the University, Libraries, and local communities is necessary.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
At Vanderbilt University, we are intentional about and assume accountability for fostering advancement and respect for equity, diversity, and inclusion for all students, faculty, and staff. Our commitment to diversity makes us who we are. We have created a community that celebrates differences and lets individuality thrive. As part of this commitment, we actively value diversity in our workplace and learning environments as we seek to take advantage of the rich backgrounds and abilities of everyone. The diverse voices of Vanderbilt represent an invaluable resource for the University in its efforts to fulfill its mission and strive to be an example of excellence in higher education.
Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Please note, all candidates selected for an offer of employment are subject to pre-employment background checks, which may include but are not limited to, based on the role for which they have been selected: criminal history, education verification, social media review, motor vehicle records, credit history, and professional license verification.
To apply for this position, visit the Vanderbilt Jobs website. Please include your résumé and a cover letter with your application.